Top 10 tips on staying safe this bonfire night in Wiltshire
By nhavergal | Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 14:39
It's that time of year again when we're all getting ready to wrap up warm and enjoy a great fireworks display. Although the night is supposed to be fun, it doesn't come without its dangers.
1. Keep children away from fireworks: the powder inside a firework is flammable and toxic. Hide all fireworks and sparklers from children and only get them out when you're ready to set them off.
2. Wear gloves: From holding fireworks to sparklers, gloves will protect the hands from stray sparks.
3. Bonfires: Never use flammable liquid to light a bonfire. Locate bonfire a considerable distance away from people and buildings cordoning off the designated area.
4. Putting out fireworks and sparklers: Once the fireworks and sparklers have died out, put the excess material in a bucket of cold water to cool them before disposing of them. Any small spark can set off a fire.
5. Keep pets inside: all pets are afraid of fireworks and can become unpredictable when frightened. Keep all pets inside away from the noise.
6. Light fireworks far away from the audience: pieces of firework which are still lit can fall quite a distance from where it has been lit and can be fatal. Make sure fireworks are lit as far away as possible.
7. Keep warm: the nights are getting colder so wrap up warm especially when attending a community firework display.
8. Take a torch: finding your car can be tricky in the dark so take a torch with you so you're able to find your way safely.
9. Keep anything flammable away from naked flames: even perfume can set off a fire so be aware of keeping fire away from yourself.
10. Have fun: there maybe rules and regulations regarding firework displays but if these safety tips are followed, you're sure to have a great time.
Happy bonfire night!